In the 1870's, a Navajo family settled in the Nahodishgish area. They adopted the name Morgan. J.C. Morgan was from this family. He was elected the fifth chairman of the Navajo Tribal Council and served a term from 1938 to 1942. In 1927, an Anglo by the name of Jesse Dalton opened up the first trading post near the southern area of the canyon. A pass in the higher region was named "Dalton Pass" and for this reason the chapter has also been referred to by this name.
The Nahogishdish Chapter conducts monthly meetings to keep residents informed; residents have a forum to express their opinions to their Navajo Nation Council Delegate or to decide on matters concerning their chapter.
Nahodishgish is located in the south-east corner of the Navajo Reservation, approximately twelve miles west of Crownpoint in McKinley County of New Mexico. The Chapter land base is within the Eastern Navajo Agency. The chapter house originally built in 1963 was renovated in 1993.
"Servicing the Governmental Needs of the Nahogishdish Chapter Residents."